My favourite place in Spain

My husband and I bought a little piece of land in the Spanish Countryside. Sounds romantic, doesn't it!?  Our closest neighbors are 1km away, on either side.

This blog post is just to share a little piece of that with you.

Our lands is only a 1/4 of an acre, but it's in the midst of a huge protected nature reserve.  We aren't allowed to build anything larger than a 16 square foot cabin - technically it is just supposed to be a tool shed for our gardening tools. My husband starting building it 4 years ago, and it's still in process. I guess we all get too distracted just enjoying nature to actually do any work while we're there!



Our little cabin - yet to be finished!

My favourite thing about being there is probably that my kids just happily play for hours, without fighting.  My next favourite thing is witnessing the daily walk of the goats from our neighbours campo ("farm" in Spanish). They have about 100 goats who roam down the mountain and pass by our property at about 5pm every day. You can hear them coming because many of them have bells on. As they run down the mountain towards our land, my children yell "the goats are coming!" and we all go down to the river to watch them come take a drink. It's so peaceful words cannot describe it. Just to sit there and hear no noise from other humans or machines or traffic... just the bells from the goats. We usually sit there silently for several minutes watching them (sometimes taking photos, of course). 

The daily walk of the neighbours goats past our finca


Our little piece of heaven is at the bottom of a valley, along a meandering river, which turns to a creek in the summer.
View of the lemon tree orchard from a little hike up the mountain behind us

When the days are warm, we love to cool off by walking up the creek and looking at rocks and searching for frogs or fish.



Me and my youngest "baby"


I have too many photos to put them all in one blog post, so I'll just choose a few for this time and save the rest for later.



It's always exciting to go there because the land changes so much with the seasons. In spring it's very green and lush, but by the end of summer it's all dry and brown except for the cactus.

Spring time with cabin in background




My husband would like to move here full time. Even though I love it when we come here, I think I'd miss our apartment in the city with all the modern conveniences like running hot water and a flush toilet! But hey, you never know what life will bring. If you'd asked me 10 years ago if I would ever leave Canada, I would have said "no way!" and now look!

Well, that's all for now folks. Thanks for reading....

Back to ALL POSTS